Sunday 19 July 2009

Meal Planning and Grocery Lists

After an unsuccessful year of cooking my first year, I was determined not to give up. I made a list of 25 things I could cook and let my husband choose the five meals for each week. When those ran out; I started over.
This got old after the second year and I began exploring cookbooks. This gave me further frustration. I google recipes and asked friends what they were cooking. It all ended hopelessly and I never came back from the grocery with everything I needed.
After seeking advice, I was encouraged to plan out my meals by ingredients and make my grocery list from that. (I know, I know, novel idea...)
So that is what I have been doing now for about 2 years and it has been extremely beneficial. Maybe you want to start the same way, by making a list of meals you feel confident with-even if its just 5!  I will help you by giving you one meal today and the list of ingredients needed.
 
On a weekly basis, I plan to post a grocery list for a week worth of meals. 
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THE PREVIOUS POSTS WHEN REVIEWING MY WEEKLY LISTS! 
I won't always list ALL the ingredients, if they are "staples" that are kept in the pantry, then they may not appear on the list.

EXAMPLE: 
Day One:
Meatball Subs (serve with chips or side of choice)

Grocery List:
93% lean beef ( I always by 93% lean, there are less expensive cuts, most use 80-85% lean)
Sub rolls (check your grocery brand, they are usually less expensive)
Onion (this may be one of the veggies you choose to keep in your fridge)
Croutons
Sliced Cheese

Recipe:
Mix 1 raw egg, 1 c. of crushed croutons, 1/2 finely chopped onion, 1/2 t. crushed red pepper, 2 T Worcestershire with  one lb. of meat. Roll into balls and bake @450 for 12 minutes. Place on sub rolls with Pizza sauce and cheese of choice. (I like to use provolone with this sandwich).

No comments:

Post a Comment